Monday, February 16, 2009
Class on 02/05
The lecture on art in games was interesting, although maybe I'm a masochist, but I'd like to try the video game with electric shock thing out myself. The treadmill second life concept was very cool, although I will fully admit that I have a hard time distinguishing what is and what is not art in games. Although I can see how blurring the lines between reality and the metaspace can be artistic, some of the examples, despite being cool, seemed to be more along the lines of something I'd do to entertain myself, then art. I can see how the gaza game can be taken as a piece of political satire, although I don't know if I'd consider it art. The question I'd ask is which silly things on Newgrounds count as art, and which are just created for shock value, or is that art as well. The other question is whether a game like okami, a pretty mainstream game, but done in a beutiful art style, counts as art if it was simply produced for commercial gain.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment